Sunday 3 August 2014

Wilkommen in Wien - Arrival

Fully equipped for the hot, humid weather in my winter coat and walking boots, I embarked on the first stage of my Year Abroad on Wednesday 30th July. As it happens, it was more time and cost-efficient to fly to Bratislava (over the border in Slovakia) and take a bus to Vienna - take note, potential visitors!

I am joining a three-person WG* consisting of P, A and C. A is going to do a semester abroad in Spain and so I am effectively replacing her for the duration of the winter semester. However, she hasn't left yet, so I am temporarily occupying C's room while she is away on holiday. I think I've struck gold - the flat is lovely, the rent is very reasonable and my new flatmates are all delightful - kind, friendly and of course German-speaking! C left me a welcome arrangement on her desk:


The WG is in the 18th district, about 10-15 min cycle from the historic centre and 10 min to my main workplace, making it all in all an excellent location. It's the yellow building in the picture. C and in due course A are lending me their bikes.

Vienna also welcomed me with some dramatic thunder, lightning and pouring rain - so the coat came in useful after all!

*In Germany and Austria it is very common for young people (up to age 30+) to live together in shared flats or houses, known as Wohngemeinschaften (living communities, abbr. WG). Available rooms are advertised on one or more of a few central websites, making the search for accommodation considerably easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment