Friday 15 August 2014

From Lima to Vienna (or, Die Welt ist ein Dorf)

As most readers will know, I spent six months of my gap year volunteering in a school in Lima, capital of Peru. At an ecumenical service in Lima's Lutheran church, I met Milena, a girl a few years younger than me who coincidentally happened to speak the same combination of languages as me and was also staying in Peru for six months. We saw each other several times during our time in Lima and have kept in touch since via letters.


Milena's mother, Cecilia, is Peruvian, but her father is Austrian and she grew up and currently lives in Vienna. So we meet again, two and a half years and half a world away from our first encounter. We find ourselves slightly at a loss as to which language we should speak: our previous interactions were exclusively in Spanish, but German is a little more appropriate to our current location...
I also discovered that Cecilia is a researcher at BOKU, where I am starting work from September!


In another gap year link, one of the daughters of the family I lived with during my time in Munich is now studying Psychology at the University of Vienna. I stayed in her room while she was away travelling in Australia. Die Welt ist indeed ein Dorf.




No comments:

Post a Comment