Tuesday 4 November 2014

The Wiener Prater

The Prater is something that gets mentioned in books. Before coming to Vienna I had a rather nebulous idea of it - some kind of park? Or possibly a fairground?

It is in fact both. Previously the imperial hunting ground, the 6km² area was opened to the public by Kaiser Joseph II on 7th April 1766. It includes an amusement park known as the "Wurstelprater" with the famous Riesenrad (see this post).

I went on Saturday to enjoy the autumn weather. Here are a few pictures so that you can all visualise it the next time it comes up in a novel.
The main avenue ("Hauptallee")  is 4km long.

Beloved of cyclists.

Autumn light.

The natural beauty is briefly interrupted by a road bridge crossing over the park. This is for Norman, who liked the graffiti.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. Guilty as charged, I suppose. I liked the other graffiti better; somehow it seemed to fit the urban setting (canal?). In the park, perhaps not so much. Or maybe it's the artist. At any rate, I have the feeling of malt and hops going to waste.

    The rest of the park is beautiful. I especially like the allee; to me it feels very European.

    ReplyDelete