Thursday 11 September 2014

Getting ahead of myself: la Asociación Cultural Paraguayo-Austriaca

One excellent aspect of living in a capital city is that you have access to a gigantic pool of people, in which you can therefore find a good number who share your most obscure interests. Rather like doing A-levels at Hills Road, where a year group of 900 made it possible to scrape together 15 who wanted to do Latin!

So, when I googled Paraguayans and Guaraní in Vienna, I immediately came across Asopara, the Paraguay-Austrian Cultural Association. I made contact and on my arrival in Vienna was invited to the director Roberto's house, which was full of extended family members and friends, to meet them and watch some of the women rehearsing folk dances for a performance at a festival in Greece. A visiting Paraguayan music ensemble also accompanied them there.

Following their tour, the Association put on a cultural evening in Vienna this Friday. This consisted of a pianist who played jazz adaptations of Paraguayan songs, the Paraguay Ensamble and the dance group  Jeroky Paraguay ("Dance Paraguay" in Guaraní), rounded off with Paraguayan food.


The people I met on both occasions were unbelievably warm, friendly and welcoming. I came home from the cultural evening with a list of telephone numbers - Lorenita who would help me with learning Guaraní, Dulce who invited me to drink tereré with her, Isabel who offered me a place to stay if I ever needed one and the details of her relations in Asunción so that I could go there on holiday, .... I was also very happy to see Susi and Leandro (the smiliest toddler I have ever met) again. The infectious joy that characterised the folk music seemed to overflow in generosity and warmth from everyone I met.

Dulce and Isabel

No comments:

Post a Comment